Monday, March 24, 2008

Off topic...but on point


Today I went to the memorial service of a truly great lady. I say lady and she was, even though that title is usually reserved for much older people, which she wasn't. She was far too young to have left us. Susan was a client, but she was also someone I considered more than that. I came to love her and her family and I am deeply saddened.

Real Estate is ultimately about people's lives and the communities in which they live. Susan enriched her community, and was starting a career that surely would have enriched us all. She was on track at UCSF to become a nurse. In her name there has been a fund established to provide scholarship money to a deserving nursing student at UCSF. It is a highly worthwhile cause, in the name of someone who touched many lives. If you can send a donation to;


The Susan L. Shulman Foundation

c/o The Horton Family
14 Lower Drive
Mill Valley, CA 94941


I wrote something because I kept seeing this vision of Susan, after I heard about her passing. Some people are so vibrant that when they leave they leave traces of color and light in your mind you can't stop seeing. Anyway...



Today I pictured Susan, standing in a field of shimmering sunflowers. The sky was as blue as her eyes. Her cheeks were flushed from having finished a long run. There was a twinkle in her eye and a smile that floated across her face. She spoke softly in a whisper and said not to cry. "The day is long, the sun is warm and there are adventures to be had."

I watched as she twirled in a circle and threw back her head to laugh. She strode away with a flower in her hand, and seemed to disappear in a swirl of blue and gold.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

susan truly changed my life and i will never forget her. it is impossible. i miss her so much. anyone who had the privledge of knowing her should know exactly how amazing she was, whether they spent 15 minutes or 15 years with her.